Rules of EngagementRules of Engagement

Rules of Engagement 

No single piece of jewellery is more significant and meaningful than an engagement ring. For generations we’ve been guiding newly engaged couples through every aspect of the ring-buying experience. Allow us to help you find the perfect ring for your personality and price range.

How much should I spend on an engagement ring?

While your ring is the object that symbolises the most romantic time in your life together, your love is not measured by the carat of your diamond. How much you spend is not set in stone! Whether your budget is $2,000 or $200,000, we have endless options for you.

If you feel like you can’t afford the ring of your dreams immediately, we encourage you to choose something within your means as there is always the option of upgrading later on (sometimes with the same setting). We can also advise you on upgrading other rings, whether it be an heirloom or an existing ring you may wish to revitalise.

What should I do if I don’t know what kind of ring my partner wants?

If you are purchasing the ring without input from your partner, our team is here to guide you. Not only do we know what the most classic (read: safe) designs are, but we can help you make an informed decision based on a description of your partner while taking into account current trends and personal tastes.

Alternatively, we also have the option of a complimentary ‘Proposal Redesign’ service whereby if you purchase a diamond of .50 carats or larger from us, we will put this into our Partridge Solitaire setting at no cost. At the time of your proposal, you will have the perfect diamond to surprise them with, after which we welcome you both back in store to discuss resetting the diamond according to your preferred style.

Why can I get two diamonds of the same size for very different prices?

There are diamonds, and then there are diamonds. Each diamond is graded using four different metrics, otherwise known as the ‘Four C’s’, and depending on these grades the price can change. A higher quality diamond will naturally be more expensive which is why it is important to think about what is important to you. Is it size? Or quality? Or perhaps you would like to find a balance? When it comes to selecting a diamond you can achieve a bigger diamond at the cost of colour and clarity, and vice versa. This is a conversation we can guide you through, while showing you what it looks like physically so you can make the best decision for what's important to you. 

It also pays to note that certain cuts can accentuate the size of a diamond. For more information around the 4 Cs (cut, colour, clarity, carat) click here.

“It is perfectly okay to not know what you want before visiting a jewellery store. Be open to suggestions and try on different designs and shapes of diamonds to see what they like the look of best on their hand.”

 — Jolanta Pickett, Partridge Jewellers Wellington

Can I bring my ring back and change it if my partner doesn’t like it? 

The most important thing to us is that both you and your partner are happy. If the ring is purchased within 30 days and shows no sign of wear and tear, we will happily exchange it for a preferred design of the same value.

What are the most classic styles & cuts?

There is an almost infinite number of engagement rings to choose from or design, depending on the diamond shape. To help narrow this down there are three main classic design styles for engagement rings: Solitaires, Halo and Three Stone rings. These can showcase a number of different cuts for the centre diamond, with the post popular being Round Brilliant, Cushion, Pear, Emerald and Asscher. 

We have an exquisite array of designs in store for you to choose from, as well as an amazing team who can help you design something unique if you are after a bespoke piece. You can gather some inspiration by browsing a range of our engagement rings here.

What are the crucial things to consider when purchasing a ring?

You may be able to do plenty of research online but there are few places you will be able to get better advice from than our team-members themselves. Let the in-store experts guide you, make sure you look, feel and try – and go with what your heart tells you!

Furthermore, the shape of a person’s hands can inform what may or may not suit them. If you are going about the choice alone, have some photos ready so that we can ascertain what your partner looks like and may suit. And if you are deciding on a design together, it pays to consider what the engagement ring and wedding ring will look like together in case this influences your decision.

What about lab grown diamonds?

At Partridge, we believe in the uniqueness and value of natural diamonds over lab-grown diamonds, the latter of which are subject to continued questions around their sustainability and worth. Over our generations in business, we understand that precious natural stones become even more so over time and thanks to today’s rigorous mining and sourcing standards, contribute positively to where they originate from. To read more, click here.

Rules of EngagementRules of Engagement
Rules of EngagementRules of Engagement
How do I know which style my partner will like?

A great place to start is by taking a look at any jewellery your partner currently wears. Does she wear anything in yellow or rose gold? Maybe it's all white gold? These are great clues. She may have also mentioned her preference, however if it's not something that has come up and you're really unsure, asking a trusted confidante is another great option.

What about a coloured gemstone?

A gemstone is a great option if you want something with a splash of colour and point of difference. For engagement rings we could recommend sapphires or rubies as they are hard enough to withstand everyday wear. Sapphires come in many colours; periwinkle, sea green, sunshine yellow, bright orange and olive green to name a few, however it is important to note they are not as hard wearing as traditional white diamonds.

What should I do if I don’t know what size to choose?

Consult our size guide, here.

What happens if I get the finger size wrong?

We can usually ascertain the right size, or at least get as close as possible, using a few techniques. Here are some tips:

  • Bringing in a ring your partner already wears noting what finger she currently wears it on. We can take its size and make an adjustment for fitting the fourth finger. 
  • Sneakily getting her to try on a friend's ring. Did it fit well? Too big? Too small?
  • With an image and description around stature our knowledgeable team can make an educated guess.
Do you offer finance or layby etc on engagement rings?

We are pleased to offer a number of finance, lay-buy and tax-free options on your engagement ring purchase. You can discover more here.

What are the differences between the precious metals?

At Partridge we pride ourselves on crafting to the best possible quality and this starts with the precious metals we use. When it comes to precious metals we craft our rings in 18k yellow, white, rose gold and platinum.

When selecting a precious metal, most tend to go off what suits their skin tone. There are subtle differences in how these metals come to their finished state. Pure gold is 24k. In this form it is too soft to be used in a piece of jewellery, therefore it is alloyed with other metals to give it long lasting strength. The alloy is dependent on the desirable hue, e.g. yellow, white or rose.

Precious metals are those which are 18k gold (75% pure gold with the remaining 25% being alloy). 18k yellow gold is alloyed with silver and copper, where rose gold is just alloyed with copper. This combination is what gives rose gold its beautiful pink hue. At Partridge we use rhodium for our white gold alloy, with a rhodium plate to give the piece a pristine white finish. This rhodium plate does wear off over 12-24 months and to maintain the pristine finish it will need to be recoated at a small cost. The last white metal option is platinum. Platinum is 95% pure with the remaining 5% being alloy. Platinum is a harder wearing metal than gold, it is also more dense giving it a heavier weight. There is some upkeep for platinum, where it needs to be polished.

Do I buy the wedding ring at the same time?

While it pays to give some consideration to the type of wedding band you or your partner might have in mind when purchasing your engagement ring, usually it’s something you will decide on together at a later date. This is often a fun and exciting experience to be shared between you and your partner.

Keep Exploring

Partridge JewellersPartridge Jewellers

Home of Engagement

Partridge JewellersPartridge Jewellers

De Beers Forevermark

Partridge JewellersPartridge Jewellers

Get in Touch

Partridge JewellersPartridge Jewellers

Find a Partridge Boutique